Thursday, April 17, 2008

Robert Altman


Robert Altman's style of film really caught my attention better than any other director we've studied this semester. Hitchcock's mystery stories never reeled me all the way in and Kurosawa just didn't quite do it for me either. The long goodbye was one of the most entertaining movie I've ever seen. It was unique. It was very serious yet sarcasticly hilarious. While it comments on very serious things such as marraige, death, revenge, the mob and crime, it still pulls of a witty humor with all of Elliot Gould's side comments and comebacks to other characters. I tend to enjoy Altman's film that has a main protaganost because no matter how masterful you are of putting in a lot of different characters and different stories it still can get confusing. Plus, I felt more connected to the story of Elliot Gould and Tim Robbins.

2 comments:

Awesometown Blogett said...

I also thoroughly enjoyed the long goodbye. I laughed my hind parts off at some of the things Marlowe said and in the tone he used. I thought this movie was really well done. I didnt like the player as much, but oh well.

D.M said...

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Long Goodbye. I like how you said that it is serious yet sarcasticly hilarious at the same time. I also thought that Elliot Gould is a very good actor and I loved his side comments.